Are Cookies Evil?
- Cookies cannot be eaten
- Cookies cannot pass viruses
- Cookies cannot steal credit card numbers
- Cookies cannot capture your e-mail address
- Cookies cannot access information on your hard drive
- Cookies are not programs and cannot execute as code
- Cookies cannot capture personal information (unless volunteered)
Contrary to most people's understanding, cookies are not evil! They are used by millions of web surfers every day and are not a threat to your computer's security. The information embedded within a cookie is very limited and are, in fact, governed by a series of restrictions. These restrictions are in place to prevent the misuse or abuse by any WebMasters or Web Application Developers.
It is understandable if you are concerned, I was at first, at least till I got the facts about these things called cookies. And regardless as to what some would have you believe (to sell certain software), the web is not surfing you at all.